There are four main reasons homeowners typically look to install a fence in all or part of their property.
- Containment. This fencing is designed to keep your children and/or pets in your yard. A wide variety of fence types can meet this need.
- Security. This fence is designed to keep others out, including animals. This would include fencing around pools.
- Privacy. These fences are installed to shield parts of a property from neighbors or passers by.
- Decorative. This is when a fence is used as a design element for a house or landscaping. The same fence can serve another purpose, as well.
If you are thinking about building a fence for your backyard, around a pool or an entire property there are several factors to consider.
- Cost of the fence. Different materials and quality mean a range in fence prices. Some reasons for building a fence require more spending than others.
- Privacy offered by the fence. Do you want neighbors or passers by to see your yard through the fence? Privacy is certainly possible even if the fence is built for another reason.
- How durable is the fence? How will the fence and materials stand up to the elements or to someone trying to get over it?
- Appearance. Does the fence meet your taste for attractiveness? Having a fence meet style tastes is possible even if the fence is built for another reason.
- How much care will the fence need? How much maintenance will the fence require?
Once considering the factors you seek from a fence comes time to look at the various fence options. In our next post we will compare chain link vs. wood picket fences.